Monday 1 November 2010

Scents of the day - Penhaligon's Opus 1870 and Serge Lutens Chergui

I wore two scents of the day today, starting with Penhaligon's Opus 1870. Penhaligon's, quite a traditional, ever so slightly fusty British house, is becoming quite trendy these days, using perfumers such as Bertrand Duchaufour and have released some interesting perfumes within the last year. Opus 1870 is quite understated, but has good lasting power. It's top and heart remind me for some reason of the style of Lutens, with lots of wood permeated with fruit and a bit of sweet spice. 

I can't quite place it, but something like Chene captures that same woody style, although in the case of Opus it is more a rich cedar than oak. I never thought I would categorise cedar as rich but that is how it comes across here, with a hint of leather in the dry down. Actually, it is rather good and I prefer it to another masculine in the line, Endymion. 

My evening scent has been Luten's Chergui, a wonderfully complex hay and tobacco fragrance, capturing in my opinion all that is good about the Lutens line. Chergui works wonderfully in cooler weather, I think, and is perfect for a mid-autumn day, with the leaves of trees transforming fast into hues of yellow, red and orange. Although I love wearing Chergui, I do find it a bit too much at times, and I can't wear it all the time, unlike my other Lutens favourite, Ambre Sultan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails